Saturday, May 21, 2005

Downs and Ups

Arsenal and Man Utd are 0-0 at the end of 90 mins in the FA Cup Final, but my tales are of poker. Have just had my first dabble in 6-max NL cash games and I didn''t like it. Managed to lose my £100 buy-in in an hour. Had one of those annoying sessions when, on the few occasions I got dealt decent cards, I either won the blinds, or had very little help on the flop when no-one else hit. I don't think I connected with a flop at all in the hour - no help whatsoever. Quite frustrating.

Last night was better. Went down to 4th Street Poker and managed to come second in the second freezeout of the evening, despite not really getting any decent cards in the tournament, especially once it got to the final table. The guy that eventually won adopted an ultra-aggressive stance (raised most hands all-in). Under the game conditions (high blinds relative to stacks) this was the right ploy. Unfortunately for me I suffered the coldest cards I can remember in quite a while. Every hand was 63, 53, 74, etc. I managed to scramble on when my 98 doubled through (and also hit a runner-runner straight in another hand), but my luck eventually ran out and second it was, and £54 tucked away in my back pocket, making a profit of £24 for the evening (£12 if you include beer).

No comments: