Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Victory at last

Finally, after over two months of toddling down to Baker Street to play in live tournaments, I've managed to be last man standing, and what a rollercoaster ride it was.

£10 Rebuy, and I rebought on the very first hand when I went all-in on the flop with an open-ended straight draw, only to be called by a flush draw, who hit. Next rebuy was calling an all-in on the BB with AQ - the raiser was someone who I knew always tried to take chances getting a big stack early. He flipped over J2, so of course that hand ended with me pulling another picture of Charles Darwin out of my pocket. I had still not won a hand, and called a frequent raiser on the blind with A3, looking to bet out all-in on just about any flop, even if I missed. I did so, but he had a genuine raising hand of QQ. On the last hand before the break, I raised pre-flop with 55 and picked up the blinds - my only pot in the first hour.

Luckily there was a double top-up so, despite my being £50 down, I had enough chips to play with. I got better cards and picked up some pots, lost a couple when I made slightly optimistic calls I had to let go on the flop, but then came the most important hand so far.

I'm in middle position with 44. I decide to raise (it was quite a tough table and limpers were being, quite rightly, raised out of pots). Guy immediately to my left re-raises me the minimum, so I call.

Flop comes A82, or something. Can't quite remember, but the important fact to note is that there was an Ace. I felt he had a big pocket pair, so I went all-in for 1,250 into a pot of about 1,600, representing the Ace. He goes into the tank for a a long time (and I mean a long time, at least two minutes, which is an eternity for this type of tournament). Usually when people have a long think, they eventually fold, so I thought that was what he was going to do. However, he made a fantastic call with QQ. Thinking about the hand afterwards, I wonder if he picked up something on me that indicated I was bluffing. I did feel the pulse in my neck throb, so at one point I shifted position in my chair so I was leaning my head on my hand, covering my neck. However, he wasn't really looking at me for a tell, more working things out in his head.

Turn was a blank, before the fortuitous 4 fell on the river. It was cruel luck for him, as it was such a great call, but I've been due luck like that for weeks.

The blinds had now picked up, so I was into my usual tactic of going all-in with any Ace, and I found a few. Stack took a hit when one BB found AK to call my AT with, but rose again when I managed to knock out two short stacks by isolating them with good, but not great hands when I felt they would call anything.

Made it to the final table, and was annoyed to find myself immediately to the left of a huge stack. He had come from the other table and had about 17,000 of the 44,000 chips in the tournament. I only had 5,000. Can't remember much about getting down to 4 players - I picked up a couple of rounds of blinds, and certainly knocked out one player when I called on the BB with any two cards as his all-in raise barely covered the blind.

We were four-handed for quite a while, chips flowed around with the shorter stack winning every showdown. A big hand occured when the large stack completed the SB on my BB. We saw a flop of AKx and he bet out 4,000 into a pot of 4,500. I had K8 and 9,500 chips left. I had a think. If he had an Ace, I felt sure he would have raised pre-flop (unless he had AA, when he may have limped) so I discounted that. However, the main line of my thinking was that he was preying on my perceived weakness when I just checked my blind. His thinking would have been 'If he had an Ace, he would have raised pre-flop, so he doesn't have one. After a think, I re-raised all-in, and after his own ponder, he folded. He said he had a King and that he knew I didn't have an Ace. I showed my K8 and he said his kicker was worse than mine, but I'm sure he would have raised pre-flop with a King and that he was just trying to take the pot.

That pot made me chip leader, and the last big hand was when the original big stack went all-in from first position. I was on the button and had JJ (the first pair I was dealt at the final table), so I called. The SB then had a think, but discretion got the better part of valour and he folded. I was up against Ace-something, but the first card I dealt on the flop was a Jack, so I won the massive pot.

I was a huge chip leader over the other two, and we actually all got it in pre-flop on the first hand when I took a chance at ending it early on my BB with JT. They had QQ and AQ, and the Queens held up to put us heads-up. He then went a bit too timid, folding the first two hands. The blinds were 3,000/6,000 by then so on his next BB he only had 2,000 chips after putting in his blind. I found my second pair of the final table with 88 and put him all-in. He had to call, but only had 73. I again hit my set on the flop and that was that - £270 first prize and a profit of £220 on the evening.

Instead of running to try (and probably fail) to catch the last tube I treated myself to a taxi home and had a nice long chat with the cab driver about poker.

No comments: