Saturday, September 17, 2005

Couldn't make the greatest fold

Made sure I was awake and alert for the midday start of the Pokerstars EPT Dublin final and I nearly shouldn't have bothered. 30 minute levels meant a nice slow structure, so I planned to take things easy early on. I did this by being card dead for the entire first hour, barely increasing my stack at all.

By the first break there were 6 of us left, and I was one of the short stacks. I managed to not slip back, despite still getting crappy cards. Once the blinds went to 50/100 I decided to start making moves and was finding, unsurprisingly, that my raises were being respected, particularly after the flop. As has been my style recently, I was betting every flop and taking most of them down.

I took control of the tournament when I flopped a set of eights and milked an opponent for a load of chips. I made sure I picked up my share of blinds, which included raising on the button with 65o when we were down to 4 players. The shortstack went all-in for not much more, so I had the pot odds to call with any two cards, which I did, and I duly lost. It did mean that the other players saw that I had raised with filth, though...

The very next hand I pick up KK UTG, and raise to 300, hoping someone wouldn't respect my raise. It went round to the BB, who reraised me to 1000. Success! I reraised him another 1200 to 2200 and he went all-in for 4270. At this point, I should probably have had a think and considered what group of hands the biggest stack at the table would re-re-re-raise with...

But I didn't - all I saw was KK in front of me and went all-in, and it failed to crack his AA. Out in fourth and I was really annoyed, because I felt I had the run of this table and could have easily won without taking massive risks. Pah.

No comments: