Saturday, November 05, 2005

Cardiff and card dead

It's been a couple of weeks since I filmed the Will Hill Grand Prix heat and, whilst I can't mention what happened in the game till it's broadcast, I can say what a great time I had. Being able to watch players like Tony G and Scotty Nguyen (yes, he got added to my heat after the draw) up close was fantastic, as was spending time in the bar afterwards with Jesse May, Vicky Coren, Lucy Rokach and John Shipley, among others. Can't wait to see it on the TV but, at the same time, don't really want to in case it shows I was bluffed out of pots. Ah well, it's all experience.

Stayed in the Cardiff Hilton for the heat and was surprised to see no Welsh people working in the hotel at all. French guy at the front desk, Polish barmaid, South African waiter, Filipino cleaner - all very strange.

Over the last few weeks I've had a very good time on the NL 6-max tables. Playing two at a time I'm averaging a profit of 15 BB an hour per table, so 30 BB in total. This has been mostly through managing to get out of the way of other players when they have their big hands. I did have an annoying habit of crushing a table, and then pissing my profit away in one hand when I got all-in with the worst hand. There's been less of this recently.

There have also been fewer tournaments of late. Annoyingly, I bubbled in the Crypto £15K last week. I had an absolute death of cards, but managed to double through with the various good hands I got. Losing one hand then knocked me down to a level where I had no folding equity, so had to find two decent cards to go all-in with, which never came, whereas the various shortstacks below me managed to double-up and pass me.

Analysing my results over the past few months, it seems better financially for me to play cash games, but I have more fun in tournaments. Think I'll concentrate on cash - try and build up my bankroll a bit, instead of blowing groups of £55 on the £15K.

No comments: