Friday, March 03, 2006

Blind robbery

OK, so I was going to do an analysis of my £15K win, but when I looked through the hands, two things were apparant (in addition to the 'my big hands held up' fact from my previous post).

1) I got lucky about 3 or 4 times in big hands (99 V KK pre-flop, 99 v AA all-in on raggy flop - both spiked sets on the river)

2) By getting a huge stack by the final table, I essentially just stole chips from the other players by continually raising till they played back at me. My opponents were too passive.

So, no great insights available.

Unbeknownst to me, the poker room I won the £15K through (Totalbet) were doing a promotion whereby the 5 highest raking players each day, plus the top tournament winner, qualified for a $2000 freeroll. My win got me into this last Saturday. 48 were eligible, but only 16 took part (Lesson - check your emails).

I won this as well. It was also spectacularly easy as my opponents were again far too passive. I suspect most of them were cash players who failed to understand the change in strategy required in tournaments. They just let me rob them blind.

The result? $1000 in my account plus entry into another freeroll tomorrow where the winner gets a seat in the WSOP in Las Vegas! 60 are eligible to enter - it'll be interesting to see how many take part. If the standard is as weak as last week's, I've got to fancy my chances.

Provided, of course, I don't do anything silly, like I did on Monday night. I'm in a super-sat for the $600K Crypto Sixpak in April. I managed to get up to be chip leader through a combination of two players trying to pull big bluffs and me outdrawing someone else.

My stack dwindled down to about average with 16 left (8 get seats). I have 88 and raise (I've been doing quite well at stealing blinds from people who are hunkering down for survival). It's folded around to the big blind who raises. He has been the one guy at the table who has been aggressive, and who would notice that I'd been table captain. If I'd have been him, I'd have re-raised me as well, just to keep me off his blind and give me a figurative smack on the nose. As I didn't believe his raise, I went all-in, knowing he would need an absolute monster to call, as I had him covered.

As it happens, he had KK, called and knocked me out. Obviously, a super-sat is no place to risk going out on a pre-flop move with 88. I should have folded to the re-raise and lived to fight another day. It was the worst play I can remember doing in quite a while - but quite funny as well, as it was so spectacularly bad.

1 comment:

Razboynik said...

Hi Andrew !
Congratulations on your tourney success.
Interesting blog. I have also started a blog for the same reasons that you did.
Cheers.