Monday, April 03, 2006

Sometimes you can do everything right and yet...

Last night's big $600K on Crypto - huge overlay as they only got just over half the runners needed to cover the guarantee (650 odd). After starting off with a couple of failed bluffs, I got back up to where I started before getting a huge hand.

I call a raise and a call with 88 and see a beautiful flop of 853 rainbow. First to act (the pre-flop raiser) bets just under the pot, then the next guy goes all-in. Even more beautiful. Sadly, the original raiser feels the heat too much and bails (with what he later said was TT). The other guy has AA and I move from 3000 chips up to 7000 and I'm 8th overall.

Then it all goes wrong. I get AA all-in against QQ pre-flop - he rivers his set. Then, five minutes later against the same guy, I get him to call my all-in on an AQ2 flop when he thinks his AK is ahead (sensible enough thought). However, I've totally put him on AK and have him well and truly over a barrel with my AQ. Until the river is a King, of course. Grrr.

I'm back down to 2800, and another 800 chips go when I have 57 on a 542 flop against my opponents 56. The river is a 6. My tournament ends when I push with AQ and run into AA.

A lot of players (and I mean a lot) would then use their next blog post as an opportunity to rant and rave about their bad fortune/useless fish/woe is me. Whilst I was disappointed to get knocked out of a big tournament so early, I was very happy with my play and I know that if I played like that in every major tournament I'd get a nice string of results.

Booked my flight to Las Vegas last night as well - just sixteen and a half weeks to go...

No comments: