Friday, July 28, 2006

Vegas - Day One

So, I'm finally here in Las Vegas, typing in my suite at the Rio, which is only slightly smaller than my entire flat in London.

Tomorrow is my day in the WSOP main event, so today I'm just familiarising myself with the Rio. Unsurprisingly, it took me less than two minutes after I checked in for me to get lost in the place - it's just huge.

Went to the Crypto pre-WSOP party last night and met up with Cupcake, Yoyo and the other William Hill people. Luckily I'd managed to grab a couple of hours sleep beforehand so I was able to have a few drinks without dozing off.

This is my first time in the US and I have been struck by just how crappy the US TV channels are. For some reason, every advert break contains one about prostrate problems. Also, the news channels have an overwhelming pro-Israeli bias in their reporting of the Middle East - they keep taking the same angle that their dimwit President does, namely that Hezbollah is the cause of the trouble, rather than the symptom that it is (with the Palestinian problem being the actual cause).

I've discovered that, sadly, the Starbucks here do not have the sausage and egg panini that I so enjoy. Also, for some reason the charger for my phone doesn't work, even though the one for my laptop does. And I've also learnt that if I want a whisky, I'd better not ask for a whisky, because I'll get crappy bourbon. I must remember to ask for scotch instead.

I'm off to dip my toe in some actual poker somewhere - staying away from the WSOP today as it's bedlam down there at the moment.

No comments: